James McCarthy is a very seasoned Organization Development (OD) and Executive Consultant. He has over 25 years line management and consulting experience with a multi-industry perspective. A Certified Professional Consultant, with five University Degrees, including Masters Degrees in Management, and in Organization Development, as well as eight professional certifications, Jim is recognized as an accomplished practitioner who has a complete grasp of the entire continuum of the Organization Development discipline -- from planning through execution.
With his considerable experience as both an internal and external consultant, as well as a line manager, Mr. McCarthy understands the advantages and limitations of hiring external professionals. Jim is a savvy consultant with a breadth of experiences and expertise, enabling him to quickly “size up” a situation and avoid costly and time-consuming mistakes.
Jim has started up and led or co-led all-purpose internal consulting functions at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Humana Health Care, and Digital Equipment Corporation. Having also worked as a Senior Consultant for one of the largest international consulting firms, he knows how to quickly diagnose issues, interact seamlessly with all facets of the organization, and work together with businesses to get results.
With such an eclectic background, Jim brings a wide range of experience to his consulting. He combines diversified leadership development, coaching and organization development knowledge with demonstrated ability to drive change through all levels of the business.
Jim believes in a total systems approach, and his unique combination of education and practical experience has led him to the conclusion that the only lasting source of competitive advantage for any organization is the ability to develop and release the full capabilities of its people.
Prior to joining Wolf Management Consultants, LLC, Jim was the CEO and Co-Founder of AdVantage Consulting, a full service consulting firm specializing in the Bio Technology, Pharmaceuticals and High Technology industries.
Jim draws on his vast hands-on experience to provide practical, on-target consulting to organizations of all sizes in the areas of:
- Leadership Development
- Executive Coaching
- Succession Management
- Strategic Planning
- Merger Management
- Cross-Functional / Virtual / and Remote Team Launch and Effectiveness
- New Manager Assimilation
- Meeting Design and Facilitation
- Knowledge Retention
- Change Management
- Strategic and Tactical Reengineering
- General Organization Design and Development.
Jim’s consulting experience includes the following:
- Partnered with key scientific leaders of a Fortune 50 Company to create the Attrition Task Force Program. This critical project was formed to reduce drug candidate attrition. Created the template that evolved into the Transition structure to guide overall performance across Research and Development and site-based implementation teams. Designed the change management approach recognized as a key element of the implementation effort by the CEO. This program will result in saving in excess of $150 million per marketed drug.
- Worked with senior leadership to reengineer the Analytical Research and Development department of a key Research and Development site to address inefficiencies that resulted from function-based structure. Created overall design approach / project structure, and acted as organization design expert and team facilitator. Result was a high-functioning, streamlined group that is a key component in achieving overall site goals.
- Working with the President of a major division of the largest international Pharmaceutical Company, created Knowledge Transfer process for outgoing CEO of a newly acquired Biotechnology Company. Designed process, did interviews and wrote final report. The outcome was quick hire and integration of the new leader. Also, advisor for creation of an overall organization design effort that resulted in absorption of redundant functions into the corporate structure with substantial savings to the organization.
- Partnered with the Senior Vice President and executive team of a multi-national Life Sciences Company to facilitate creation of a new Strategic Alliances department. Provided content expertise and helped team create new organizational structure and work processes. Wrote communication and stakeholder involvement plans for this mission-critical function.
- Led the reengineering of the Human Resources function for a “Super-Regional” Health Care Company. Worked with the team to conduct an extensive current state analysis, assessed options, and designed a new organizational model. The plan was agreed to by the CEO, and was to be presented at a major university as a case study of successful reengineering.
- For a Fortune 500 Company, directed the design, development and implementation of the Building Strategic Unity Process. Collaborated with top management of the company to define the company’s strategic direction. Also, developed a process to implement the strategy, and designed a program to inform and involve Leadership and Associates in executing the company’s Product Focused Affordable Cost Strategy.
- Co-led the development of a comprehensive plan to form a strategic alliance among three of the largest Farm Co-operatives in North America. Worked with the most senior management of the Co-operatives to develop an integrated retail vision and case for action. Facilitated identification and design of an overall framework for the partnership, which included: Marketing; Information Systems; Distribution, and Organization Strategies to enable the companies to recommend the plan to their respective Boards.
- Directed the Change Management Strategy component of a $60 million project to provide new information systems for manufacturing facilities of a premier Aerospace and Electronics Company. Designed and facilitated client and key stakeholder workshops. Identified and developed required transformation initiatives in such focus areas as: Management Practices; Organization and Staffing; Performance Metrics and Incentives; Culture; Stakeholder Resistance, and Readiness Assessments.
- Designed and facilitated a Vision and Strategy Workshop for top executives at a $4 Billion Computer Manufacturing Company. The vision focused on using Electronic Commerce to increase productivity and customer satisfaction. Outcomes included: identifying the organization’s Critical Business Issues, its Customer Value Proposition, and the Confirming Case for Action.
- Master’s degree in Organization Development from American University/NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science…Masters Degree in Applied Management from Lesley College. Bachelors Degree in Marketing, and Associates Degrees in Management Information Systems and in Criminal Law from Northeastern University.
- High Performance Work Systems
- Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator
- Career Assessment Planning
- Quality Control Circles
- Organizational Transitions
- Organizational Character Indexing
- Prometheus Strategic Planning
- Diversity Core Group Leader