Robert Bowen is knowledgeable in all aspects of Human Resources with multiple years experience in numerous business and diverse environments. He has a history of success at partnering with line management driving business results in healthcare, pharmaceutical, technical, automotive, paper, education, manufacturing and hospitality industries. In addition, he has experience with mergers & acquisitions, change management, continuous improvement, rightsizing, union and union-free environments. He has a particular focus and expertise in employee relations and training.
For over 20 years, Robert has worked with his clients in pursuit of maximum utilization of Human Resources in support of bottom line results. Prior to joining Wolf Management Consultants, he worked with organizations such as McDonald’s, PacifiCare and Ericsson. With his varied background working with clients in multiple states, he has amassed an effective arsenal of approaches to solving people related business challenges.
As a certified business coach, Robert is very effective at helping clients to develop and implement plans for their development and their organizations utilizing the below approach:
- Goal Clarity – Work with client to confirm their values and true desires, direction and goals. This often involves the use of selected assessment instruments to help understand their needs, leadership and behavioral style. At this stage, gap analysis can take place.
- Strategy Formulation – Help client formulate an appropriate long range plan with week to week action items along with time frames for success. Determine what systems, personnel or resources are needed to move them forward. Help client keep on track with desired goals. Establish appropriate prioritization.
- Skills Upgrade – Determine what skills are necessary for client to achieve selected goals. Work with client to indentify resources and methodologies to acquire needed skills or decide if third party involvement is the best course of action in this area.
- Optimize Environment – Help client determine how to best understand and manage their environment (i.e. home, work, etc.). The results are a more positive support structure that is enabling and not distracting
- Master Psychology – Work with client about their beliefs surrounding selected goals with an emphasis on fact rather than speculation. Examine any self-doubts or fears that may be holding client back from reaching their goals. This approach allows for a clear “line of sight” toward getting what the client really wants.
Robert specializes in connecting and establishing an in-depth relationship with his client. This facilitates quicker identification and resolution of issues allowing the organization to move forward with its business and profitability. General areas of Human Resources expertise include:
- Management & Employee Development
- Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Respectful Workplace and Sexual Harassment Training
- Recruiting and Staffing
- Employment Law (CA & Federal)
- Performance Management
- AA/EEO Compliance
- Employee Relations
- Corrective Action
- Workers Compensation
- Strategic Planning
- RIF Management
A few examples of Robert Bowen ’s specific accomplishments are illustrated below:
- Led Six Sigma Green Belt project to reduce personnel attrition. Recommendations provided for a 50% reduction.
- Facilitated development of management team goals in response to 360-degree survey resulting in managers having specific improvement goals to roll out in their respective departments.
- Rolled out corrective action training for management staff. Served as focal point for approval of all formal corrective action. A high degree of uniformity and fairness applied to formal corrective action activity resulted in a more positive employee climate.
- Partnered with VP of Operations during Change Management project meetings. Provided the management staff the opportunity to operate consistently during time of business growth and change.
- Conducted needs analysis on needed training for new supervisors. Resulted in classes being developed and implemented for new supervisors ahead of the formal program being introduced by corporate.
- Facilitated the introduction of a 4/10 Alternative Shift schedule in a production dept. This resulted in greater productivity and increased employee satisfaction among the group.
- Created short term staffing plan for operations. Resulted in addition of contract recruiter to facilitate acquisition of needed personnel.
- Held Respectful Workplace training sessions for management team which reduced incidences of employee complaints by 40% in a one-year period.
- Introduced a new performance management system. Rolled out to management staff which achieved a 30% reduction in turnover.
- Architected response to several government agency claims of discrimination resulting in no reasonable cause findings on all.
- Developed local job announcement system to streamline communication of availability of posted jobs.
Robert also enjoys and trains adult audiences on an adjunct basis. He currently provides training for Cuyamaca – Grossmont Community College District on a variety of business subjects to include Team Building, Coaching for Improved Performance, Delegating for Results and related courses. In addition, he has provided instruction at California State University San Marcos’ Human Resources Certification Course.
Along with his obtaining his coaching certification with Coach Training Alliance, he holds an additional certification with the Five O’Clock Club, a career management organization offering career coaching for professionals, managers and executives. Robert is also a certified facilitator of The Accountability Experience™. He is also familiar with most assessment tools and is a certified DISC facilitator.
Robert has enjoyed a 27 year military career retiring as an Army Reserve Lieutenant Colonel. During his time in the military he served in a number of leadership and staff roles providing a diversity of interactive and challenging experiences in global environments. He was deployed to Desert Storm and the Balkans during the time of conflict earning many awards including the Bronze Star Medal.
He earned a BA in Urban Studies from Fordham University in New York City and graduated with an MA in Management and Human Relations from Webster University in St. Louis, Missouri. In addition, he is a graduate of the University of California – San Diego Human Resources Leadership Program. Robert also holds the designation of Senior Professional of Human Resources with the Human Resource Certification Institute.